Occasionally the TS-950SDX will transmit instantaneously when the mode is switched from SSB to CW with the VOX turned on. The frequency of occurrance depends upon the setting of the VOX GAIN and DELAY controls.
A small amount of RF feedback is felt on analog switches IC5 and IC6 in the AF unit. This RF causes the timing circuit to actuate briefly when the mode is changed with VOX ON.
Warning: This radio uses micro-sized surface mount component, and/or multi-layer circuit boards. If you are not familiar with the techniques for service of this type of equipment do not attempt this modification yourself. You will invalidate your warranty if you attempt to modify the equipment and damage the radio. If you are at all in doubt about your qualification to perform this modification you should seek qualified assistance.
C191: 4.7 µF, 25 V electrolytic capacitor (CW04EW1W4R7M)
- Unplug the DSP unit from the rear of the transceiver.
- Remove the top and bottom covers (18 screws).
- Turn the units so the bottom is up.
- The AF unit is located in the front left hand corner.
- Remove the 8 screws securing the AF unit to the chassis.
- Add C191 in the position indicated in figure 2.
- Reverse steps 1 - 5 to reassemble.
This modification may be covered under warranty.
Time required for this modification is 1 hour or less.