Freeband modification WILL cause the "Smart Search" function to stop at the band edges when the radio goes out of lock. Frequency bands can still be searched, but frequencies must be recorded and/or programmed manually. Here is the procedure:
- Set the lower band edge limit by programming channel L1 to the desired lower edge frequency. If the display flashes, the frequency is out of the coverage range.
- Set the higher band edge limit by programming channel U1 to the desired higher band edge limit. Check display to be sure it is not out of range.
- Manually switch to channel L1.
- Set the squelch to desired setting.
- Press the "MR" button on the keypad. The MR indicator on the display will begin flashing.
- Press the "^" (up arrow) key repeatedly and radio will start searching.
- Image frequencies and undesired frequencies cannot be locked out.
- A total of 5 frequency limit pairs can be programmed in L1-L5 and U1-U5. However, the radio will not search more than one set of frequency edges at one time.