FT-857 (US version)
Modification for TX:
1.8-56MHz, 137-164MHz, 420-470MHz
- Remove the seven screws affixing the top panel of the transceiver, and gently lift it upward.
- Carefully remove the small 2-pin speaker plug from the left rear corner of the transceiver interior then remove the top case and set it aside for the moment.
- Locate the nine jumpers about 2" from the front edge of the main unit and about 3/4" from the left edge. For 144/430MHz expansion only, remove the jumper at JP1002, leaving the other jumpers alone. For complete expansion per the above listing, place jumpers at JP1007/1008/1009, and remove the jumpers at JP1001/1002/1003/1004/1005 (leave the jumper at JP1006 in place). NOTE THE UNUSUAL SEQUENCE FOR THE NUMBERING.
- Replace the top panel; don't forget to re-connect the speaker lead removed in step 2.
- With the transceiver off, press and hold in the [F] and [V/M] keys; while holding them in, turn the radio on. Modification is now complete.
Hanno Vogels, DG8JZ