Some early TS-950SD transceivers may exhibit a low Signal to Noise ratio on ten and fifteen meters. In addition, rotating the encoder may allow the user to hear a crackling noise in his headphones. The following modification will correct this condition.
Note: This modification has already been performed on model from serial number 101xxxx.
- Disconnect the power cord and antenna.
- Remove the top and bottom covers (18 screws).
- Open the subchassis as shown in figure 1 (remove 4 top screws, remove 3 back panel screws, unplug the RX ANT OUT and DRIVE IN connectors).
- Remove the cover from the subchassis (12 screws). Figure 1.
- Remove the 9 screws from the Filter board.
- Desolder the antenna connector wires at the antenna connector. Do not damage the surge absorber.
- Rotate the Filter unit to expose the foil side of the board. Disconnect coax cables as necessary to rotate the board and remove the mesh plate as the board is rotated.
- Cut the two foils as shown in figure 2.
- Assemble the transceiver by reversing steps 1 - 7. Remember to install the mesh plate, resolder the antenna connector, and plug in the two connectors on the back panel.
This modification is covered under the 1 year warranty.
Time required to perform the modification is 1 hour or less.