When you have a european version of the TH-K2 or -K4 HT, you can expand the frequencyrange out of band without loosing the automatic repeatershift! During this mod you will loose all information inside the HT, so back it up or live with it.
WARNING: Kenwood uses very small components that have to be removed. Don't use a 75W iron to desolder them but use a 15W with a very small tip. If you don't have a stable hand, ask someone else before you f*ck up the HT!
Now, there we go!
- Remove antenna, battery en top knobs
- Remove 4 screws
- GENTLY lift the bottomside of the inside out by pulling the ridge and gently pushing the antennaconnector inwards.
- On the button-board's top-left side you'll see three diodes; two desoldered, one present, one desoldered, two present. Remember it's location!
- Unscrew the three screws of the button-board en gently lift it out. This provides space when modifying.
- Desolder the right diode of the two on the right for RX expansion.
- Desolder the left diode of the two on the right for TX expansion.
- Now there is only one diode left in the 4th place from the right.
- DO NOT TURN ON! You first need to reset it since I don''t know what'll happen!
- RESET by pushing POWER & F at the same time when powering on. Confirm 2 times with F.
Now, consider wether you want to TX outside the HAM band. Kenwood appearantly made it possible to choose between the two options.
It is possible that some versions have other diode-settings. In any way, you only need to remove the RIGHT TWO DIODES (if wanted) and no other!
I tried it on my Dutch TH-K2 but it also works on the TH-K4 since this mod was originally for that one.
The right two diodes are removed in my unit and it works great! Note that the spanner nuts around the antenna and other control should be removed before pushing the unit out.