To allow "normal" transmitter power above and below 144-148 MHz.
- Short the CI-V line of the CI-V jack on the back panel, to ground.
- Push and hold the RIT and Sattelite keys whilst turning on power.
- Push 9 key to enter the expanded frequency power set mode.
- Enter the adjustment mode for 144Mhz out-of-band RF power. A wattmeter must be connected.
- Push RIT key to transmit 145.01 automatically. Then rotate the tuning knob to adjust the desired RF power.
- Push RIT key to memorise.
Similar for the 70 and 23 cm bands.
Note that the transmitter power does drop off below 140/425 MHz, and care must be taken not to keep the transmitter keyed in FM mode for long periods as the transistors get hot working into a out-of-resonance stripline.
If the band 136 - 140 is going to be used frequently, then a small adjustment of C659, and the fitting of an additional trimmer capacitor, 5 - 25pF at the antenna end of L657 to ground, and adjusting for max power at 138MHz, will reduce the strain on the PA transistors.