This from the Kenwood Factory Website...
- Disconnect power cord and antenna from transceiver
- Detach the head
- Remove Top and Bottom screws (9 total)
- Lift the locking tabs on top and bottom side of the front panel, pull the front panel forward to expose the control board. DO NOT BREAK THE TWO RIBBON CABLES!!!! They connect the control board to the TX-RX board.
- Remove the single screw from the control board to access the bottom of the board (component side). There is NO need to disconnect the ribbon cables!!
- Locate the TWO GREEN JUMPER WIRES on the component side of the control board.
- Cut the one labeled W501 (SEE ILLUSTRATION)AND IF NEED BE INSULATE THE END TO PREVENT CONTACT.
- Re-assemble and power up unit. It will automatically reset.
New receive capability-